closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Review: AVI-8 Spitfire Smith Automatic, Reading

Review: AVI-8 Spitfire Smith Automatic, Reading

I’ve been very fortunate recently: as well as receiving the Spinnaker Dumas, the kind people at AVI-8 sent me one of their new watches to review.

AVI-8 are a brand I was not familiar with, but they have an aviation-inspired theme to their watches. As I am a bit of a plane-geek this is OK with me, especially seeing as though they seem to have done some charity collaborations with the Royal British Legion.

This particular watch, the Spitfire Smith Automatic, takes its name from Joseph Smith, who took over as Chief Designer at Supermarine upon the death of R. J. Mitchell (that part is for Martyn!). Reading is the name given to this colour scheme.

Specifications

Movement: NH35 automatic
    Case material: stainless steel (grade unknown)
    Case diameter: 42mm
    Case thickness: 13.7mm
    Lug to lug: 50mm
    Lens: Sapphire glass with AR coating
    Strap: 22mm leather
    Water resistance: 50m
    Weight: 90g
    Price: £275

The watch came in a cardboard sleeve decorated with an aircraft schematic.

But what sort of Spitfire is that? The contrary-rotating blades would indicate it’s either an experimental Griffon engined variant (F22?) or perhaps even a Seafang? Either way it’s an unusual choice!

Within the puzzling sleeve sat a decent enough watch box.

Unwrapping the watch inside from a paper shroud revealed a helpful aide-mémoire sticker….useful if one is wondering where the battery goes!

I was surprised a little when I took the watch out of the box; the sapphire glass is slightly domed which makes the dial really “pop-out”, the dial itself is 3-dimensional with the inner section sitting deeper (the bottom of the ‘0’ at 12 sits slightly proud of the dial). Embossed on the dial is K9787, the serial number of the first prototype Spitfire (yes I had to Google that!).

(The photo above was taken a day later in a vain attempt to find some Manchester ‘day light’!)

The lume is pretty decent, but I don’t know how long it lasts for.

There are a couple of other aviation-inspired designs, the wing profile by the crown is less obvious to spot than the design on the back!

So what are my thoughts? To be honest when I looked at the watch online its images did little for me, but in the flesh I was really surprised by how much I liked it. It’s quirky in a good way, an unusual design that is unlike anything else I’m familiar with. And on the wrist it felt extremely comfy, the strap is very soft leather.

Timekeeping? Well here’s a genuine surprise: after 72 hours it was +/- 0s! (Caveat: I’ve not been wearing it, that was the result of once-daily hand winding).

Any reservations? Well the design might not be suitable for a “one watch solution” (imagine that?!), but I think it works well as a fun piece in a collection. The large sapphire glass might become a finger print and ding-magnet, but that depends on how clumsy you are!

I hope you appreciated the write up, and if you like the watch then look-out on Sales Corner soon….AVI-8 have said I can auction the watch off for the charity fundraiser!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

But what sort of Spitfire is that? The contrary-rotating blades would indicate it’s either an experimental Griffon engined variant (F22?) or perhaps even a Seafang? Either way it’s an unusual choice!!
    It’s not a Spit, not even a Supermarine. It’s a Martin Baker MB5:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin-Baker_MB_5

Nice review, looks like a fun watch.
    Last edited by Rob998; 21st February 2022 at 23:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob998 View Post
    It’s not a Spit, not even a Supermarine. It’s a Martin Baker MB5:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin-Baker_MB_5

Nice review, looks like a fun watch.
    I take my hat off to you! I knew the tail didn’t look correct for a Supermarine. I’ve never even heard of the MB5. Oh the excitement of learning about a new plane.

Perhaps the cardboard outer box is one used on all AVI-8 watches then.
    Last edited by Kirk280; 23rd February 2022 at 11:15.

It’s confirmed, the watch box is used for all AVI-8 watches. An unusual, and quite cool, choice of aircraft!

Good review, and not the usual fair too

#InsertBremontWitticismsHere