closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Data breaches - what do you do?

Master

Data breaches - what do you do?

Nephew has had a communication advising that the administrator of his pension scheme has had a data breach involving some of his data.

The (government) employer and Capita, the administrator, don't seem to be offering much in the way of the support.

If anyone could offer advice and/or, maybe, point out online resources about what to do to guard against ID theft, I'd be very grateful.

I am in the same situation as an ex Capita employee, Hartlink should have written to him explaining the situation. I used the Experian subscription that was offered and will monitor. I don't think he can do much unless his has had his data used. Capita on the other hand will be getting a fine, and that is speaking as an IT bod who had and is still dealing with the aftermath of the attack.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    I am in the same situation as an ex Capita employee, Hartlink should have written to him explaining the situation. I used the Experian subscription that was offered and will monitor. I don't think he can do much unless his has had his data used. Capita on the other hand will be getting a fine, and that is speaking as an IT bod who had and is still dealing with the aftermath of the attack.
    Thanks. There should be some automatic compensation for the stress and worry it causes. I know nothing about cyber security but it's shocking that things like this happen.

Any other thoughts form anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Thanks. There should be some automatic compensation for the stress and worry it causes. I know nothing about cyber security but it's shocking that things like this happen.

Any other thoughts form anyone?
    I had a notification recently about a Data Breach from "a well known magazine publisher".Nice of them to tell me, especially as my card details were hacked when the breach occured LAST YEAR.
    Do I really need Old Bike Mart, Classic Bike Guide and Kitchen Garden?

Blog Entries
    I suggest he changes his passwords immediately - and preferably use some sort of vault storage. Do not use the same passwords for different accounts. Look out for suspicious emails and phishing attempts, basically never click on a link supplied in an email. Check the headers of emails for authenticity, shutdown any dormant accounts. With bank cards lock/freeze them via apps until you need to use them.

All basic security stuff.

Use multi-factorial authentication as a security measure (stronger than 2-factor authentication).
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Change your date of birth and national insurance number and you're golden. Oh hang on ...

There was a thing on the radio about this and identity theft. There was no suggested solution, and the worrying revelation that identity theft could happen in years time, after you've stopped being vigilant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I suggest he changes his passwords immediately - and preferably use some sort of vault storage. Do not use the same passwords for different accounts. Look out for suspicious emails and phishing attempts, basically never click on a link supplied in an email. Check the headers of emails for authenticity, shutdown any dormant accounts. With bank cards lock/freeze them via apps until you need to use them.

All basic security stuff.

Use multi-factorial authentication as a security measure (stronger than 2-factor authentication).
    Thanks. I'm quite paranoid about these things so guess I'll have to pass on that hang up!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Change your date of birth and national insurance number and you're golden. Oh hang on ...

There was a thing on the radio about this and identity theft. There was no suggested solution, and the worrying revelation that identity theft could happen in years time, after you've stopped being vigilant.
    Yes. Once stuff is out there, it's out there!

Master
    Capita are shockingly bad, one of my pensions is managed by them and they suffered a week long breach in March, they informed us pensioners in late June, they offered a years free membership of Experian which turns out is on ‘auto renew’, sneaky, seems this breach affected many 10s of thousands of pensioners of big firms, since the governments hand is Capita’s pocket I doubt any punishment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Capita are shockingly bad, one of my pensions is managed by them and they suffered a week long breach in March, they informed us pensioners in late June, they offered a years free membership of Experian which turns out is on ‘auto renew’, sneaky, seems this breach affected many 10s of thousands of pensioners of big firms, since the governments hand is Capita’s pocket I doubt any punishment.
    It’s criminal. There should be mandatory financial compensation for those affected. The threat of that might make them rather better with their security.