closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Timegrapher App

Timegrapher App

Can anyone recommend a good Timegrapher app please?

Thanks in advance.

Watch accuracy meter. Just have to hold watch on the mic of your phone to get readings

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by amcneill View Post
    Watch accuracy meter. Just have to hold watch on the mic of your phone to get readings

Thanks, I downloaded it but I can't work out how to use it. The instructions aren't very user friendly!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I've used the 'Timegrapher' app and it works surprisingly well though I did find I needed to turn up the sensitivity and leave the watch and phone in a quiet room. It's never going to replace a professional device but an excellent indicator of, for example, movement amplitude.

"Tickoprint" seems to work OK, just leave it running in a quiet spot for a little while. It seems to automatically detect the watch's frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Thanks, I downloaded it but I can't work out how to use it. The instructions aren't very user friendly!

hold the watch next to the mic (samsung bottom right of phone) hit the start button and the app is fully automatic

Craftsman
    I agree, I also use Watch Accuracy meter....seems to work pretty well with my phone.

Thanks, I found I could only get a reading when placing my phone on the caseback. Got very different results depending on the crown position. Not sure what to make of this?

The ubiquitous 6R35 movement, the delta's not too bad considering!

Thanks, what does the Delta mean?

The delta is the gap in seconds between the lowest and highest rate positions out of the 6 that a movement is generally timed in. If a watch has a rate of -6spd at its slowest position and +4spd at its highest the delta would be 10 seconds.

Ah, thank you!

On the wrist with daily wear it's been running at minus 5/6 per day since the weekend.

Grand Master
    Why not buy a proper Timegrapher for around £150 instead of fannying around with phone apps that might or might not make sense? Also worth doing a bit of homework first in order to understand what the numbers are telling you.

Watch accuracy meter seems ok to me...

TAG Heuer 1000M Pro

Speedbird

Seiko 5 (new)

Seiko Presmatic 5106 (old)

Smiths Everest

Master
    I use the Watch Accuracy app as well. Its findings, at least with respect to seconds lost / gained per day, do seem to reflect real life experience accurately.

Grand Master
    Nearly fell off my chair laughing at those plots!

The scattered points show that the phone isn`t picking up the signal cleanly. This can be a problem with a proper timegrapher microphone, usually it's heavy-cased watches that are affected and some juggling around is required to get the microphone to touch onto the crown. This simply isn`t possible with a phone. If points are scattered around the device isn`t getting a clean signal and results are unlikely to be reliable.

If you really want to get correct results spend the money and buy a cheap Timegrapher!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Why not buy a proper Timegrapher for around £150 instead of fannying around with phone apps that might or might not make sense? Also worth doing a bit of homework first in order to understand what the numbers are telling you.
    I might just do that.

Is there a particular model that you would recommend please?

If I can't get a consistent result I take the case back off. Generally seems to work.

Grand Master

Here's what a trace should look like, small beat error means the line isn`t solid but 0.1 is an acceptable value. There are no 'outliers', the trace is consistent. This is a 1960s Omega Deville, one of my own watches. Lift angle for the cal 552 movement is 49°, that's easy to set on the machine, beat rate is detected automatically. One problem with bracelet watches is the tendancy for the bracelet to rattle slightly and produce spurious blips that prevent the machine picking up a clean signal, sometimes I have to hold the bracelet under tension to prevent this.

The upward gradient of the plot tells me the watch is running fast, that's obvious after a few seconds, if regulating the watch I don`t wait for the number to be calculated, I take the watch off the machine and make a small adjustment.

I`ve owned this machine for 11 years and it's never given any problems apart from the mains cable cable switch breaking and needing replacement, I think I paid £350 for it. It's a Chinese copy of a Swiss machine, cheaper ones (MTG 1000) are available for around £150 but I'm not 100% certain the lift angle can be adjusted on those, maybe someone can confirm? One function it lacks is a data logging capability to allow the performance of a watch to be printed out over a period of hours, that would be useful sometimes.

As I stated earlier, getting this microphone to pick up a clean signal can be tricky on some watches, when that happens you've no chance with a phone. Heavy cased dive watches are worst, particularly if the movement holder is plastic and relies on the caseback to clamp it tight in the case. Only way to get a clean signal is to replace the caseback, then remove it to make adjustments........tedious!

I`ve used this machine successfully on Omega 2500C co-axials, lift angle has to be set to 38°.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th December 2022 at 17:51.

Interesting thread. I tried some apps mentioned (always used the watch accuracy meter which I find good) and they recommend an external mic. Can anyone recommend one for Android samsung 3.5mm jack plug? Preferably cheap! Fancy experimenting

Thank you Walkerwek1958 for taking the time to write a very detailed and interesting reply.

Now I just need to put a Timegrapher on my Christmas wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    cheaper ones (MTG 1000) are available for around £150 but I'm not 100% certain the lift angle can be adjusted on those, maybe someone can confirm?
    Yes the lift angle can be adjusted on mine.

I’ve had good results with this app - ‘watch tuner Timegrapher’.

I simply attach the external microphone from the phones headset to the watch crystal using masking tape. Can also then achieve measurements in multiple positions.

Craftsman
    I had a few problems trying to download the Watch Accuracy Meter from Play store but once downloaded works well enough to get a rough idea.

Clearly a poor substitute for an expensive time grapher but better than nothing and it is free :-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    I’ve had good results with this app - ‘watch tuner Timegrapher’.

I simply attach the external microphone from the phones headset to the watch crystal using masking tape. Can also then achieve measurements in multiple positions.

I've also used this app many times with really good results. Another tip is once you've taped the headphone's mic to the back of the watch, sandwich between two pillows to cut out any outside interference. I think it's as accurate as my Weishi 1000.