closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Broadcasting mobile ring tone - is there a way?

Broadcasting mobile ring tone - is there a way?

I never carry my mobile phone around the house with me. It tends to remain in my small office. The trouble is that if I'm outside or even in virtually any other room, then I cannot hear it ring. I miss loads of calls!

Is there a set-up whereby I could put some small (and I mean tiny) speakers around the place so that if my phone rings it would broadcast the ring tone?

Any help greatly appreciated.

A cheap smart watch might do the trick so long as you have it on you :)

Bluetooth headphone(s)?

That way you can answer it wherever you are.
    Last edited by gunner; 2nd May 2024 at 15:58.

Blog Entries
    Shirt with a pocket on the front.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Shirt with a pocket on the front.
    Presuming the OP wears trousers, the pockets on those might work? Or maybe that's the problem… he's a naturist.

Grand Master
    Surely just remembering to pick up and take with you is easier.
    So something else has you hear it,do you then run back to answer,it stops as you pick up...then make the return call.

Carry it.....the speaker you talk about is already there on your phone wherever you go.

Hmm......I wonder if I could pair it up with an old Alexa I have. That would at least give coverage for a few rooms. Have to research that.

Aye, I could wear a smartwatch, but then I'd have to wear a watch all the time. I know, a non-watch wearer on a watch forum.......I don't understand me either

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Presuming the OP wears trousers, the pockets on those might work? Or maybe that's the problem… he's a naturist.
    Damn, I didn't think anyone could see into the property LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Damn, I didn't think anyone could see into the property LOL

Just get a Neuralink

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Surely just remembering to pick up and take with you is easier.
    So something else has you hear it,do you then run back to answer,it stops as you pick up...then make the return call.

Carry it.....the speaker you talk about is already there on your phone wherever you go.
    So very much this. This simple solution will be the most reliable and cheapest.

Or just do what more and more folks are doing, which is making it clear that they are not always at the beck and call of their phone, and they'll call back when it suits them when they see the missed call(s).

Get a house phone

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    So very much this. This simple solution will be the most reliable and cheapest.

Or just do what more and more folks are doing, which is making it clear that they are not always at the beck and call of their phone, and they'll call back when it suits them when they see the missed call(s).
    It would be the simplest yep. But, I am not wedded to my phone like many are these days. And I hate having to carry stuff about. Generally, I am not that fussed about missing calls........but a recent event (and there are often other such panics about all manner of things) https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post6390841 means I am feeling the need to hear the phone when it rings.

I see no logic.

It is (unfortunately?) fine to carry your phone or smart watch around. This way you can take any call that comes in, and assess their importance there and then.

Alternatively, it is also perfectly fine to consider your mobile as a fixed phone, leave it in your office or any other room you see fit, and take the call when and if you are within reach. Other calls are recorded anyway and you can then call back should you wish to do so.

But you want the convenience of the mobile in your pocket or on your wrist while still being able to pretend you have neither. To do that, you are prepared to suffer the annoyance of a ring tone sounding in all your rooms, after which you would presumably rush to wherever the phone was left (only to realise that you had no chance to get there in time) without knowing whether there was any urgency attached to that call.

I would instead advise to keep your phone or smartwatch with you, put your phone in "do not disturb" mode whenever you leave your office and have a few numbers (your wife's for example) set up to bypass the do not disturb.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Or don’t leave the phone in your office but a more central place on the landing or in the hallway, giving you time to get to it.

Master
    I can't help but agree that there appears to be an easy solution here, as opposed to the more complex one being sought!

Back in the old days, places I worked, had the landline connected to a bell in various locations. Wherever you were in the factory or workshop you could hear if the phone rang. Is it so strange to ask for a modern equivalent for an iPhone? Seems to be :/

Yeah, what is about the word 'mobile' that I don't get. I know, I know.

Getting to the phone in time if it rings isn't an issue. We don't live in a large property. I can be in any room in no more than few seconds. I am not inundated with calls every minute of the day hence no need to be attached to my phone......it's just that often when a call comes in, typically I'm in another room.

Anyhow, I'll figure something out. Actually if you look on the internet, there are a lot of queries about solutions to this problem, so it ain't just me.

I remember those rings across a floor. But if it was similar to the environment I remember there were phones everywhere and you just had to pick up the phone and switch the line.

The other thing is that most callers of a mobile number expect the phone to be picked up quickly or hang up as a phone left to ring can be that of someone in a meeting furiously trying to get to his phone after forgetting to turn the ring off.

If the phone is on my desk and I am across the room I usually don’t have time to get to it before the 3rd ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I remember those rings across a floor. But if it was similar to the environment I remember there were phones everywhere and you just had to pick up the phone and switch the line.

The other thing is that most callers of a mobile number expect the phone to be picked up quickly or hang up as a phone left to ring can be that of someone in a meeting furiously trying to get to his phone after forgetting to turn the ring off.

If the phone is on my desk and I am across the room I usually don’t have time to get to it before the 3rd ring.
    Mine doesn't ring. It plays quite a bit of the theme tune to HHGTTG. Maybe I should change it to Ian Gillan screaming his lungs off in 'Child in Time'. That could be the simple solution

I’m recalling the Rowan Atkinson scene in Not the Nine O’clock News when he plays a deaf guy with a contraption on his head when the light flashes when the phone goes ….. now I have that in my head i think the OP deserves some ribbing

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    This sounds like a 'Night Bell Call Pickup' feature which permits alternate routing of inbound calls to a Call Pickup Group so that everyone in the building can hear the alerting call and answer it from any instrument. Sometimes there were additional ringers plugged into Line Jack Units at strategic locations.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Would a bluetooth speaker paired to the phone do the job? Not sure what would happen when you picked up the call though, the audio would probably also play through the speaker.

Mine doesn't ring. It plays quite a bit of the theme tune to HHGTTG. Maybe I should change it to Ian Gillan screaming his lungs off in 'Child in Time'. That could be the simple solution
    Well then you wouldn’t want to answer until the end of the song, and it’s a long song!

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    I’m recalling the Rowan Atkinson scene in Not the Nine O’clock News when he plays a deaf guy with a contraption on his head when the light flashes when the phone goes ….. now I have that in my head i think the OP deserves some ribbing
    I remember that one well. So many classic NTNOCN sketches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Would a bluetooth speaker paired to the phone do the job? Not sure what would happen when you picked up the call though, the audio would probably also play through the speaker.
    Depending on how you set it up, it will often default to coming through the external speaker. But the microphone is still on the phone so you end up with an awkward phone-in-hand but sound-coming-from-elsewhere situation. I'm sure you can make it rather more elegant though...

Depending on how you set it up, it will often default to coming through the external speaker. But the microphone is still on the phone so you end up with an awkward phone-in-hand but sound-coming-from-elsewhere situation. I'm sure you can make it rather more elegant though...
    Yeah, I took a call in the front garden once as Mrs C was parking and it took me ages to realise that the audio was coming out on the car speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Well then you wouldn’t want to answer until the end of the song, and it’s a long song!
    I'd probably just not bother to answer the call and enjoy the music. My ring tone is "Sailing By" by Ronald Binge and I often just let it play through. If it's important they'll call back.

But the microphone is still on the phone so you end up with an awkward phone-in-hand but sound-coming-from-elsewhere situation.
    Lots of portable Bluetooth speakers have microphones built in to them and can be used for hands-free calling.

Back in the old days, places I worked, had the landline connected to a bell in various locations. Wherever you were in the factory or workshop you could hear if the phone rang. Is it so strange to ask for a modern equivalent for an iPhone?
    How about you forward your mobile number to your landline number?

You do still have a landline, don’t you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    How about you forward your mobile number to your landline number?

You do still have a landline, don’t you?
    Sorry, had to laugh at that. Yes, we still have a landline handset (hardly used anymore).......trouble is that I hear that one even less. You'd think we lived in a huge place but not at all, just somehow the layout of the rooms stops certain sounds travelling. I can hear my wife 'shout' me from the kitchen, but can I hear the landline which is placed almost as close.......nope.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Great sketch! What a briiliant series that was (at the time).

Sorry, had to laugh at that. Yes, we still have a landline handset (hardly used anymore).......trouble is that I hear that one even less. You'd think we lived in a huge place but not at all, just somehow the layout of the rooms stops certain sounds travelling. I can hear my wife 'shout' me from the kitchen, but can I hear the landline which is placed almost as close.......nope.
    That's an easy change to make, the ring of the landline. Just get an amplifierl on eBay.

Something like that

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Lots of portable Bluetooth speakers have microphones built in to them and can be used for hands-free calling.
    Indeed, I have one too, but the OP doesn't want a portable speaker as he doesn't want to carry anything around with him.