closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Clarkson's Farm 3

Hybrid View

Master
    ‘Gentleman Farmer’ demonstrating that to make a small fortune farming then you need to start out with a larger one.

A sort of Top Gear meets The Archers in many ways.

Enjoyable nonsense all the same.

I still wince when I remember what he did to his thumb on the vegetable slicer...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    ‘Gentleman Farmer’ demonstrating that to make a small fortune farming then you need to start out with a larger one.

A sort of Top Gear meets The Archers in many ways.

Enjoyable nonsense all the same.
    I learned quite a bit about farming from Clarkson's Farm.
    Can I also recommend "Harry's Farm" on YouTube. Harry Metcalfe has a channel where he takes us through events on his farm (he & Jeremy are neighbours). I found this very informative as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy2254 View Post
    I learned quite a bit about farming from Clarkson's Farm.
    Can I also recommend "Harry's Farm" on YouTube. Harry Metcalfe has a channel where he takes us through events on his farm (he & Jeremy are neighbours). I found this very informative as well.
    I’ve seen a bit of Harry’s Farm as well, but it’s still a millionaire playing at farming.

I know Countryfile got a bit of stick earlier in the thread for being ‘countryside for Townies’, but farm portrayal is a lot more realistic on it from what I’ve seen, covering Adam’s large farm through to hill farmers earning a subsistence living.

I can see why Clarkson’s Farm is more entertaining though, but I wouldn’t say it’s a typical farm, but has brought farming into the spotlight again.

Master
    I’ve seen a bit of Harry’s Farm as well, but it’s still a millionaire playing at farming.

I know Countryfile got a bit of stick earlier in the thread for being ‘countryside for Townies’, but farm portrayal is a lot more realistic on it from what I’ve seen, covering Adam’s large farm through to hill farmers earning a subsistence living.

I can see why Clarkson’s Farm is more entertaining though, but I wouldn’t say it’s a typical farm, but has brought farming into the spotlight again.
    He started working on a farm at the age of 18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    He started working on a farm at the age of 18.
    No doubt, and I was working on one at 14, that wasn’t really my point.

If anything, Harry Metcalfe is a ‘non farmers farmer’ more than anything that countryfile do.

I like him, I like his car stuff as well, and have been a subscriber to Evo magazine since issue 1, but he has a huge secondary income and I think even he would say he’s not an average or typical farmer.

So, it’s no more a realistic portrayal of farming than Clarkson’s setup, but agree it helps folk unfamiliar with the issues to think about farming and food production.

Master
    No doubt, and I was working on one at 14, that wasn’t really my point.

If anything, Harry Metcalfe is a ‘non farmers farmer’ more than anything that countryfile do.

I like him, I like his car stuff as well, and have been a subscriber to Evo magazine since issue 1, but he has a huge secondary income and I think even he would say he’s not an average or typical farmer.

So, it’s no more a realistic portrayal of farming than Clarkson’s setup, but agree it helps folk unfamiliar with the issues to think about farming and food production.
    I agree with your points, Harry's probably not your typical farmer. He has though, taught me a lot more about farming than I knew before, some things I'd never thought of, that can't be bad. Didn't Clarkson win an award for bringing farmers' lives & issues to peoples' attention?