closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Deployants

Craftsman

Deployants

I'm thinking about buying a few cheap leather straps (approx. £30-40 per strap) but they all come with the tang buckle. I'm quite new to this as I've always worn steel bracelets in the past so I don't know about the longevity of the straps. Now, I've heard that deployants are better as you only need to set it once and don't need to keep bending it each time you put it on, thereby increasing the life of the leather strap and you won't get that unsightly crease from the tang buckle.
    However, deployants are expensive, they increase the costs from about £40 per strap to £85-90 for each one. At that price I could buy the same strap twice and I'm not sure the deployants could double the life of the leather strap. I understand that if the straps were expensive (£200+) then a deployant is definitely worth it, but at £40, I guess the general consensus is to just deal with the tang buckle?

Craftsman
    Why not buy a few cheap clasps from Cousins or amazon?
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/b...r-watch-straps

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by neuman356 View Post
    Why not buy a few cheap clasps from Cousins or amazon?
    https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/b...r-watch-straps
    I've been looking at a few straps from watchobsession.co.uk so thought it would be more convenient to buy it all from there. I've never even considered fitting my own deployant clasp on the strap. It does appear to be more difficult than simply changing the strap of the watch. I will look into it. Thank you.

Don't forget TimeFactors: 2 Piece Nylon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki324 View Post
    I've been looking at a few straps from watchobsession.co.uk so thought it would be more convenient to buy it all from there. I've never even considered fitting my own deployant clasp on the strap. It does appear to be more difficult than simply changing the strap of the watch. I will look into it. Thank you.
    Fitting a deployant is little more than removing the existing buckle and pin, which should be held in place with a springbar, then fitting the end of the deployant into the gap where the pin was held and fixing it in place with a screw-threaded bar. The other end of the strap then just needs to be fed through the other end of the deployant and the pin pushed into the appropriate hole in the strap for your wrist size. Job done.

Master
    If you look after a leather strap, condition the leather every week or two, and don't go swimming or getting it sweaty, it will last even with a tang buckle. A deployant does help though and can be used in strap after strap. I'd prefer the deployant, but tang buckles do work fine.

Grand Master
    I’d suggest you try one somewhere before you buy, I’ve never found a comfortable one. Wrist shape is important, the inside of my wrist is pretty flat and every one I’ve tried including Hirsch and even Omega dig in and irritate me.,
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I prefer tang buckles to deployants, personally.

Deployants are supposed to put less stress on the strap, but I'm not sure how and most stick in my wrist.

For a sub £20 strap, it's not worth it, imo.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I'm a fan but nb 1.) some have a tighter curve (radius) that can dig in to your wrists and 2.) some don't open very wide, leaving insufficient room to get it over your hand.

There are two main types: "butterfly" (two hinges) or "single-foldover" (z-shaped). I prefer the latter but others swear by the former. All butterflies have push button release; single foldovers might or can be fiction fit. Single foldovers also come in two types, ones where the "tail" of the strap is on the outside (as per a normal buckle, necessitating keepers) and ones where it's underneath and against the wrist.

Have a look at Watch Obsession's own brand ones or the pricey-but-nicey Swiss-made ones by Formex. And remember it's buckle width, not lug width, that you want.

Here's the Watch Obsession one:

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Don't forget TimeFactors: 2 Piece Nylon.
    I think the timefactors 2-piece nylon straps with deployants are superb and great value.

I suspect the biggest problem is getting hold of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I think the timefactors 2-piece nylon straps with deployants are superb and great value.

I suspect the biggest problem is getting hold of one.
    I agree, they are a bargain and light fettling removes any slightly sharp edges.