closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Travelling light.

Travelling light.

We’re off to the US for our summer vacation and memories of an endless wait at baggage reclaim then being told our luggage hadn’t kept pace with us on the way out and then my case getting bashed up sufficiently to warrant a replacement on the way back has led to only taking carry-on luggage. My girlfriend is not convinced it’ll work but I made it work when I travelled to Australia some years ago. Does anyone else try to travel light for their international holidays?

Travelling light.

Yep, an Eastpak roller bag and rucksack each. All carry on sized and will easily do a 2 week trip.

If you need more luggage you are taking to much crap.

If we are going to Europe in the summer one Eastpak is enough along with a couple of carry on rucksacks, as all we need it T-shirts and shorts/skirts.

I try to, my kit will go in a small North Face cabin bag sized hold-all, but I have laundry facilities where I head to so it’s not much of an issue. A weeks worth of t shirts, shorts and blow lamps does me, wear my boots traveling, flip flops in the bag. Wash it all when needed. Buy Dhobie kit there. I don’t go anywhere I would need to dress for dinner though which helps.
    She on the other hand takes her baggage allowance and mine…
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 19th July 2023 at 20:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Yep, an Eastpak roller bag and rucksack each. All carry on sized and will easily do a 2 week trip.

If we are going to Europe in the summer one Eastpak is enough along with a couple of carry on rucksacks, as all we need it T-shirts and shorts/skirts.

Agree with eastpak kit. Used it for years and stood a bit of rugged treatment.
    Try this https://www.eastpak.com/uk-en/sale/s...000003tf00HAAQ

And roll your clothes, don’t fold them!

Hope you both have a great time.

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 19th July 2023 at 21:01.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I try to never check bags. Complete pita. But if you do put an AirTag in the bag. At least you know where it is and if it’s worth waiting at the carousel.

Currently on a multi centre Italian 2 week holiday with just a carry Suitcase and a laptop ruck sack.

Bidets make great washing facilities for your smalls and polo shirts!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Agree with eastpak kit. Used it for years and stood a bit of rugged treatment.
    Try this https://www.eastpak.com/uk-en/sale/s...000003tf00HAAQ

And roll your clothes, don’t fold them!

Hope you both have a great time.

Jim
    I agree with the ruggedness, and their cabin sized wheeled luggage is excellent quality.

However, having experienced their customer service for a replacement buckle it was totally sh1t.

Craftsman
    I’ve recently bought a couple of the soft Eastpak carry on sized bags and am very impressed with them. Really good quality and robust handles compared to everything thing else at around the same price.

So far they’ve done fine for a week in Barcelona and they’re going to Italy for a week later in the summer. One of these and a hand baggage sized backpack will easily do 7-10 days IMO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

How do you get four bags betwen two of you as cabin baggage?

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Currently on a multi centre Italian 2 week holiday with just a carry Suitcase and a laptop ruck sack.

Bidets make great washing facilities for your smalls and polo shirts!
    Do you use the toilet to wash your clothes if they don't have a bidet?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    BA allow two as long as one fits under the seat in front. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-essentials Similar for a number of airlines.

I'm a fan of the Eastpak too. I had a 5 day business trip to the US recently. Managed with the Eastpak and a laptop back. Had business clothes, casual and gym wear. However there is no way I'm going to pack so light that requires me to wash my own underwear.

Travelling light.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    All the low cost carriers (Easyjet/Wizz/Ryanair) will allow you to take a cabin bag in a addition to a ruck sack for a payment.

If you buy a flight on BA/Jet2/Tui you get it for free.

So on the way out on Easyjet we took two rucksacks and one cabin bag and cost up £20 extra for the one cabin bag (4 hour flight)

We are coming back on a Tui flight you can take a free cabin bag in addition to rucksack.

Go onto each website and look what you can take for free and what you have to pay for. Generally we get 4 bags on the flight (2 small, 2 cabin) although depending on who you fly with you may have to pay.

Thanks for the suggestions and the debate chaps. I picked up a wheeled cabin case that matches the American Airlines cabin case size of 56x36x23 and have managed to pack it with enough clothing to see me through two weeks in Knoxville, Atlanta and Big Ridge State park. I’ll have a nifty little rucksack too so should, fingers crossed, be well set.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    Do you use the toilet to wash your clothes if they don't have a bidet?
    No, the bathroom sink of course!

Sheesh!

Craftsman
    Eastpak have a sale of some bags and certain colours. Just bought a carry on. That's another £98 this site has cost me!

Get some compression packing cubes as well, to really maximise how much you can fit in.

Our baggage for the next trip which is all allowed in the cabin, and fee free with the airline we are travelling with.

This is easily enough a couple of weeks. Don’t travel anywhere in hot weather without a couple of insulated water flasks, which nicely fit in the side pocket of the rucksack.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and the debate chaps. I picked up a wheeled cabin case that matches the American Airlines cabin case size of 56x36x23 and have managed to pack it with enough clothing to see me through two weeks in Knoxville, Atlanta and Big Ridge State park. I’ll have a nifty little rucksack too so should, fingers crossed, be well set.
    Should be good on sizes. I travel frequently internally in the states and there is never any hassle over cabin bag size.

I have seen them be nippy if someone brings a cabin bag, computer bag and a suit carrier for example as only 2 things in the cabin

Also VERY frequently they have more cabin bags than will fit so folks in the later boarding groups have to compulsorily check them in at the gate. Most times you get it back at the gate but sometimes it gets onto the carousel.

And avoid Frontier who make Ryanair bag police look like amateurs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk