closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More bike related stuff

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Have you dismissed the R9T?

If you're considering modern retros then it is worth a look. Will be easier to service and get parts for than a Moto Guzzi.

I personally think the Urban GS is better looking than any of the bikes on your list so far.
    I’d agree the R9T variants are better looking than most, but it’s also double the price of some. There is a Guzzi Stone on the GS forum with v low miles for around £6k. How much is an R9.

It all comes down to use. The R9T’s may have a longer life in growth as a rider, if it’s about progressing - but it’s wholly possible most of the choices are going to be absolutely fine for day to day commuting and fun use.

Id also look at the Kawasaki Z900RS, which looks like a very nice option for old school looks, with modern electrics and a decent size tank.

For a bit of balance, I enjoyed taking the 125 to work today :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Thanks Scott. Not quite as drool-inducing as the others, and a much higher seat as well.

Your comments regarding both price and future need were spot on, by the way.

I’m used to both high and low seats having adventure and sports bikes, but it does make a difference. The old man gave up riding his GS last year (and bought a R1200r LC) as it was getting a little more difficult with his short legs, around 30 inch inseam. But then he is also in his 70’s and still bloody quick!

A bike should be fun first and foremost imo, so just make sure you like the looks, you are comfortable on it, and you are confident handling it around a garage/car park on foot and on the road riding it.

There aren’t that many bad choices if you stick to the established brands - I could have fun on almost any bike :)

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I’d agree the R9T variants are better looking than most, but it’s also double the price of some. There is a Guzzi Stone on the GS forum with v low miles for around £6k. How much is an R9.

It all comes down to use. The R9T’s may have a longer life in growth as a rider, if it’s about progressing - but it’s wholly possible most of the choices are going to be absolutely fine for day to day commuting and fun use.

Id also look at the Kawasaki Z900RS, which looks like a very nice option for old school looks, with modern electrics and a decent size tank.

For a bit of balance, I enjoyed taking the 125 to work today :)
    You can pick a used one up for circa £8.5k. There's an extensive BMW dealer network to back them up too. Is that the same for MG?

I think until Tony actually sits on a bike then this is just a fun speculative exercise as to what might suit his requirements. At the moment all he can go on are aesthetics and specs, but they are not going to mean much once he's settled on something he really wants, and then inevitably the tentative budget will go out of the window. As someone who was in his position 4-5 months ago I can pretty much guarantee that will happen. Look at the loosening of the original requirement for a 300cc bike!

Who knows what the choice would be...

If I didn’t own any bike I’d be looking for around 100-150bhp, but that’s just me and I like to ride quickly on unrestricted roads when possible.

If the R9T was quicker I’d consider one (in fact as an additional bike, I’d love one) - it looks better than my old mans R1200R, but it’s slower. I’d honestly like a 130bhp version of it, and their is no real reason you couldn’t have one, as my 2006 R1200S is putting out that figure with full exhaust and remap with with essentially an older tech bmw twin engine.

Obviously an MX-5 is the right choice, but there are so many really good, and fun, option bikes to choice from.

Bizzarely I have more fun riding a R1200GS around as quickly as possible than I’ve ever had on a sports bike in over 30+ years riding around the TT course. I still wish it had another 30-40bhp though ;)

Well, that's the CBT out the way. Next is to get my theory done and dusted ASAP, and then get booked up for a 5 day course - 3 days of training, MOD 1 on day four and MOD 2 a few days later.

Interestingly, I was talking to a couple of the trainers about the seat height issue, and they got me sitting on two of the test bikes (a Gladius 650, and an SV650). Incredibly, despite looking a bit intimidating they felt fairly small when sitting on them. My feet easily sat flat on the ground on both sides, so that's very, very reassuring in terms of the larger bikes on my test list.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 16th August 2018 at 14:32.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, that's the CBT out the way. Next is to get my theory done and dusted ASAP, and then get booked up for a 5 day course - 3 days of training, MOD 1 on day four and MOD 2 a few days later.
    Splendid

Interestingly, I was talking to a couple of the trainers about the seat height issue, and they got me sitting on two of the test bikes (a Gladius 600, and an SV650). Incredibly, despite looking a bit intimidating they felt fairly small when sitting on them. My feet easily sat flat on the ground on both sides, so that's very, very reassuring in terms of the larger bikes on my test list.
    You will find that seat shape will influence your ability to get feet down as much as seat height.

Now, I've been thinking... To help you, how about you delay the buying process for a few months and go along to the bike show at the NEC in November? You can jump on and off as many bikes as you like to see which fit, which are comfortable etc.

And if you say when you're going, about 20 of us can turn up, shout "no!" a lot and direct you towards increasingly inappropriate bikes... ("Unless you sit on the Ninja H2 you'll not be sure it's not for you" etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Splendid

You will find that seat shape will influence your ability to get feet down as much as seat height.

Now, I've been thinking... To help you, how about you delay the buying process for a few months and go along to the bike show at the NEC in November? You can jump on and off as many bikes as you like to see which fit, which are comfortable etc.

And if you say when you're going, about 20 of us can turn up, shout "no!" a lot and direct you towards increasingly inappropriate bikes... ("Unless you sit on the Ninja H2 you'll not be sure it's not for you" etc)
    Actually, that's quite an intriguing idea, and could also be a lot of fun

Let me dwell on it (and thanks for the suggestion).

This could be fun :D
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Actually, that's quite an intriguing idea, and could also be a lot of fun

Let me dwell on it (and thanks for the suggestion).
    There is Ally Pally at the end of Sept too

http://www.mcnallypallyshow.co.uk

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    True.

Being able to get both feet down is obviously nice to be able to do, but it’s far from essential, especially once you have a bit of experience. I manage with just one foot down (and that’s not flat), but I do take care how I park re sloping ground.
    Last edited by andy tims; 15th August 2018 at 18:30.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Interestingly, I was talking to a couple of the trainers about the seat height issue, and they got me sitting on two of the test bikes (a Gladius 600, and an SV650). Incredibly, despite looking a bit intimidating they felt fairly small when sitting on them. My feet easily sat flat on the ground on both sides, so that's very, very reassuring in terms of the larger bikes on my test list.
    You have to bear in mind with Japanese bikes the average height (and weight for factory suspension settings) of the Japanese Men they are designed for, you should be fine Tony, you're probably over average height in Japan.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 15th August 2018 at 11:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    You have to bear in mind with Japanese bikes the average height (and weight for factory suspension settings) of the Japanese Men they are designed for, you should be fine Tony, you're probably over average height in Japan.
    Do they make motorbikes in Papua New Guinea?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Well, FWIW my preferences are down to two bikes, now I know how easy they'll be to flat-foot.

Speed Twin...

and Scrambler Icon

While I'm going through the test process I'll find some local dealers so I can have a sit on them and see how they compare.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 15th August 2018 at 12:50.