TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Above a radiator though??
    Quick!

Craftsman
    I don't allow them to have the heating on that's what jumpers are for !

QUOTE=Neil.C;3430778]That's better, now we can see them.

Above a radiator though??

[/QUOTE]

Craftsman

Plan to finally work out how to use this. My beautiful Fender Rumble amp, pedals & bass all went up in smoke last NYE in a fire at the studio. Gradually reassembling gear, but we've had to stop gigging in the meantime. Bought this as a kind of amp modeller/multi-fx solution, just need to buy a small monitor to plug it into, as headphones aren't working for me. Hopefully the image uploads.

I've acquired another 6-string since my last post.. Here it is on the left, a PRS SE Fredrik Akesson signature model.

It's a difficult guitar to photograph as it just appears black. It is actually a dark brown with the quilted maple top showing through.

It represents a few firsts for me; my first PRS, first single cut and my first guitar with a sub 25.5 inch scale length. I can't put it down, it plays like a dream.

The 24.5 inch scale length has taken a little time to get used to (my extended scale 7-string now feels massive). Some of the signature features are a very thick mahogany body, (making it quite heavy), wide and fat neck with jumbo frets, a Tone Pros wraparound fixed bridge and tweaked pickups - they are quite hot, but clean up nicely. The sustain is amazing!

I'm off for a play...

Let's see your guitars

A few changes since some of my last posts in this thread. My G&L Asat is gone, as is my CIJ Fender Tele' 72 Custom reissue. All the Les Pauls have gone (the 97 Standard and the pair of 2003s - the Gold Top and the Desertburst). I've also had a 2TS MIA Standard Strat come and go and a CIJ Fender 62 RI Precision Bass.

The current electric-family photo looks like this.

L-R: '83 Gordon-Smith GS-1; '13 Fender Custom Shop '72 Telecaster Custom Closet Classic; '13 Patrick Eggle New Wave; '15 PRS S2 Standard 22; '07 Fender USA Standard Telecaster; '05 Epiphone (Peerless made) Dot (front).

1983 Gordon-Smith GS-1

Rarely played, can't bring myself to sell it. It isn't worth much but it owes me absolutely nothing and you just can't get a mass-produced guitar made with this quality of wood anymore.

2013 Fender Custom Shop 1972 Telecaster Custom Closet Classic

Relics don't do it for me and I would never go out of my way to buy one. I wanted a 72 Reissue for years and in 2007 I bought a Japanese one from a grey importer. It was lovely but then I walked into GuitarGuitar in Birmingham 6 years later and spotted this one. It was SIGNIFICANTLY better, subtly modified by the factory (it has a 'belly-cut' on the back for example) and plays and sounds exactly as I want a Telecaster to. The whole package with the reissue G&G case, case candy and the Cruz Tools toolkit is just lovely. The relic job is supposed to reflect a guitar that was built and put into storage and just looks like it's been made a bit swirly with some wire wool. Prices have started climbing already too, which is nice.

2013 (ish) Patrick Eggle New Wave

This is an interesting and quite unusual guitar. It's made in the UK and is part of the new range of Eggles made by the current owners in Leicestershire. This is a kind of hybrid/prototype between New Wave 'Pro' and 'Stage' models. It's semi-hollow, all maple (top, back and neck), ebony fingerboard and instead of a tone control it has a treble roll off on the volume pot and a 3 way rotary switch which works as a coil tap to switch between either the inside or outside coils of the humbuckers.

2015 PRS S2 Standard 22

Colour is apparently McCarty Tobacco Burst and as far as I can make out, it's a Miracle with a trem. I wanted a Mira, I could quite find one I liked and spotted this second hand, so I bought it. The S2 stuff is kind of PRS's midrange - made in the USA but about half the price of their Core range. I think the pickups, trem, tuning machines are made in Korea but the guitar is built in Maryland with the Core range. It's got a 3 police neck (rather than one), the body has a flat rather than carved top and I'm guessing the pickup routing is a bit more 'agricultural' hence the use of a pick guard, but all in its a really nice guitar that cost me less than an SG, so I'm happy.

2007 Fender USA Standard Telecaster

Everybody should have a least one Tele and it should be one of these. Or a 52 RI. Or a 72 Custom. Or.....oh well you get the idea. I picked this up cheap and I really like it.

2005 (ish) Epiphone Dot

Bought this new from Thomann, who sent me a Chinese one. It was rubbish and they graciously accepted it back and looked in the warehouse for a Korean one (I asked nicely). This guitar is probably part of the last Korean production and was made in the Peerless factory (makers of their own mighty-fine semi-hollow guitars). I took the stock pickups out and fitted the Burstbucker Pro and the Rio Grande Texas HB pickups from the Desertburst LP STD when I fitted a pair of Pearly Gates. It's a really nice sounding and playing guitar and the panic doesn't set in like it did when I took a proper ES-335 out to a gig.

I've still got my Crafter Lite and Martin HD-28V and have no plans to move them on. I ought to recover my '93 Squier Silver Series Strat from my dad, but he's keeping it warm with a PRS McCarty and a Core Standard 22, a pair of LP STDs (one of which he bought last week when I was deliberating over buying it myself and turns out to be fitted with a set of 60s Grovers worth approaching $350 - the guitar was only £750), a pair of USA Strats, Martin HD-28V and HD-28VS (beautiful), a '78 'The Paul' and God know what else.
    Last edited by johnnyguitar; 4th December 2015 at 11:18.

Very nice Johnny. Love the '72 Custom Tele.

I must admit I have the idea of a Fender Tele in my future.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I've been very quiet on TZ forum the last few months, mainly because I'm happy with my watch collection and have no changes planned ............ plus work has been silly busy........ another excuse is about 6 weeks ago a mate said he was gonna buy his daughter a guitar for her 12th birthday. Remembered I had one tucked away in the cupboard under the stairs after an impulsive on-line purchase years ago which at the time was a useless attempt to re-learn chords and scales that I half-mastered as an 18 year old spotty youth on a Westbury, an SG copy, wine red with DiMarzzio pickups if I remember rightly? Angus Young and Gary Moore defintely had nothing to worry about..........

I impulsively ended up buying the Tokai on-line in 2006. After all of 5 mins on-line reseach. I bought it simply 'cos I thought it looked good. Anyway it's been in imprisoned in the aforementioned cupboard for the last 10 years.

So I finally had a reason to get the damn thing out of the cupboard and get the dust off it, and also get the rust out of my fingers. One evening 6 weeks ago resulted in sore fingers and lots of cursing whilst struggling to master 'Happy Birthday' for Liliana's big day, 6 weeks later and an hour's practise most evenings and the fingers are flowing again quite nicely on the fingerboard!

Let's cut to the chase. It's a made in Korea mid-2000's Flying V, regarding the colour I would say it's a Gold Top? The overall quality is excellent. The action is low, the feel of the neck is superb and it sounds great! Admittedly I'm only playing it through a very recently borrowed Roland Cube. I have the amp set anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 gain and 1/2 on reverb.

Cheers!
    Mark
    p.s. Liliana was apparently impressed hearing 'Happy Birthday' bashed out on her Birthday present acoustic guitar so after a couple of music lessons at school in the new term she may get to have a go on the Tokai!
    Last edited by CafeRacer; 4th December 2015 at 21:53. Reason: adding bit about reverb

Master
    I love Tokai's, currently have 3 in the collection - 335 (Korean) was my first guitar it can do anything its loaded with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers, SG (Japanese) very classic loaded with Gibson 57's and a Japanese Les Paul that I bought for £200 that got a pickup upgrade to Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates.

I also had a gold 175 style but that turned out not to be my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    A few changes since some of my last posts in this thread. My G&L Asat is gone, as is my CIJ Fender Tele' 72 Custom reissue. All the Les Pauls have gone (the 97 Standard and the pair of 2003s - the Gold Top and the Desertburst). I've also had a 2TS MIA Standard Strat come and go and a CIJ Fender 62 RI Precision Bass.

The current electric-family photo looks like this.

L-R: '83 Gordon-Smith GS-1; '13 Fender Custom Shop '72 Telecaster Custom Closet Classic; '13 Patrick Eggle New Wave; '15 PRS S2 Standard 22; '07 Fender USA Standard Telecaster; '05 Epiphone (Peerless made) Dot (front).

1983 Gordon-Smith GS-1

Rarely played, can't bring myself to sell it. It isn't worth much but it owes me absolutely nothing and you just can't get a mass-produced guitar made with this quality of wood anymore.

2013 Fender Custom Shop 1972 Telecaster Custom Closet Classic

Relics don't do it for me and I would never go out of my way to buy one. I wanted a 72 Reissue for years and in 2007 I bought a Japanese one from a grey importer. It was lovely but then I walked into GuitarGuitar in Birmingham 6 years later and spotted this one. It was SIGNIFICANTLY better, subtly modified by the factory (it has a 'belly-cut' on the back for example) and plays and sounds exactly as I want a Telecaster to. The whole package with the reissue G&G case, case candy and the Cruz Tools toolkit is just lovely. The relic job is supposed to reflect a guitar that was built and put into storage and just looks like it's been made a bit swirly with some wire wool. Prices have started climbing already too, which is nice.

2013 (ish) Patrick Eggle New Wave

This is an interesting and quite unusual guitar. It's made in the UK and is part of the new range of Eggles made by the current owners in Leicestershire. This is a kind of hybrid/prototype between New Wave 'Pro' and 'Stage' models. It's semi-hollow, all maple (top, back and neck), ebony fingerboard and instead of a tone control it has a treble roll off on the volume pot and a 3 way rotary switch which works as a coil tap to switch between either the inside or outside coils of the humbuckers.

2015 PRS S2 Standard 22

Colour is apparently McCarty Tobacco Burst and as far as I can make out, it's a Miracle with a trem. I wanted a Mira, I could quite find one I liked and spotted this second hand, so I bought it. The S2 stuff is kind of PRS's midrange - made in the USA but about half the price of their Core range. I think the pickups, trem, tuning machines are made in Korea but the guitar is built in Maryland with the Core range. It's got a 3 piece neck (rather than one), the body has a flat rather than carved top and I'm guessing the pickup routing is a bit more 'agricultural' hence the use of a pick guard, but all in its a really nice guitar that cost me less than an SG, so I'm happy.

2007 Fender USA Standard Telecaster

Everybody should have a least one Tele and it should be one of these. Or a 52 RI. Or a 72 Custom. Or.....oh well you get the idea. I picked this up cheap and I really like it.

2005 (ish) Epiphone Dot

Bought this new from Thomann, who sent me a Chinese one. It was rubbish and they graciously accepted it back and looked in the warehouse for a Korean one (I asked nicely). This guitar is probably part of the last Korean production and was made in the Peerless factory (makers of their own mighty-fine semi-hollow guitars). I took the stock pickups out and fitted the Burstbucker Pro and the Rio Grande Texas HB pickups from the Desertburst LP STD when I fitted a pair of Pearly Gates. It's a really nice sounding and playing guitar and the panic doesn't set in like it did when I took a proper ES-335 out to a gig.

I've still got my Crafter Lite and Martin HD-28V and have no plans to move them on. I ought to recover my '93 Squier Silver Series Strat from my dad, but he's keeping it warm with a PRS McCarty and a Core Standard 22, a pair of LP STDs (one of which he bought last week when I was deliberating over buying it myself and turns out to be fitted with a set of 60s Grovers worth approaching $350 - the guitar was only £750), a pair of USA Strats, Martin HD-28V and HD-28VS (beautiful), a '78 'The Paul' and God know what else.
    I really need to update this as , just nosing through old photos, I’ve burned through more guitars than I thought I had including (but not limited to):

8 Les Pauls (3 Standards, a Custom, a Special, a Classic and 2 Studios)
    4 SGs (3 Standards and a Special)
    5 American Strats
    5 Teles (including 2 USA G&L ASATs, a Jap 72, a Custom Shop 72 and a USA Standard)
    5 P Basses (2 USA and 3 Jap) along with 3 Jazz Basses and a Stingray
    A 335 and an Epiphone Dot
    And lots of other stuff including a Ric 360, the Eggle, PRS S22 and god knows what else I’ve forgotten about.

For now I’m playing a USA Strat, CS 72 RI Tele Custom, G&L Asat Classic and the Epiphone Dot. The Eggle needs looking at and probably a new neck and I still have my Martin HD-28V, which is going NOWHERE,and recently picked up a dirt cheap (£30) Crafter parlour guitar which needs attention.

I have a thing for black/black/maple Fenders so the Strat will get a black pick guard and controls and I am on the hunt for a USA Tele which will get the black makeover and I’ve got a desire for a either an older USA Telecaster Deluxe (bound body) or a STD that I’m more likely to butcher for a neck humbucker AND a modern Telecaster Elite in mystic black. Once I’ve got those I want something that I can have refinished in sparkle silver and then that’ll do me!

^^^

You do bash through them don't you?

TBH I don't think anything will ever cure your GAS but I guess the fun is found by trying!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Bought a couple more this week, Little OM sized Vintage 300 x2!!

I found the natural one on Ebay (Buy it now for £59.99+ £3.95 P+P), The blue one was on Freeads with a small amp, A couple more softcases and other bits for £100 but got the bundle for £80!!

I have a pulled shoulder that's painful using Dreadnoughts, These little ones are much less painful to use and I was surprised at how loud they will play!!

The blue one has Mother of Pearl bindings, Just have to fit some fresh strings as these are almost black with age!!

I also bought another bowlback (Westfield) that came with a nice padded case but don't have a pic of it!!

John

^^^

You do bash through them don't you?

TBH I don't think anything will ever cure your GAS but I guess the fun is found by trying!
    Er....yes

You know how it is - you buy a guitar and then something else comes along and you need to free up some funds to buy it....

I had to part with the first G&L and the CIJ 72 RI Tele for the CS Closet Classic 72 RI - would never have bought something like a Closet Classic or any other artificially aged guitar but as an instrument it’s fantastic. The CAR Strat went when a guy round the corner was happy to trade the G&L for it, so I bought the black one when funds were readily available and I have a love/hate relationships with LPs, normally fall out with them after I’ve done a couple of gigs with one and my back has an argument.

The black one:

Now looks like this post Christmas (although I bought the bits myself) - great transformation for less than £40 with genuine Fender parts.

It matches the 72RI nicely, which I can’t find a picture of at the moment so here’s me looking like a tosser.

And then this came earlier this year

Which was a MY2000 LP Classic that had a pair of Burstbuckers installed. Some idiot had done an artificial lacquer checking job on it by running a razor blade left to right across the body (failing to realise that the checking would go along the grain, top to bottom). It was very nice but just don’t have the love for an LP anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyguitar View Post
    The black one:

There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Gilmour, of course, has the 'classic' black strat:

Journeyman

Never knew there was space for guitars here!

New member of the family by lardy_biker

Still going strong 8 years on with a Les paul historic (58 plaintop) now as well.

^^^

Nice.

I love a Junior.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Gibson S-1 made in 1976

I recently acquired this peach of a guitar.

When I was 15 or 16 my friend had one and it was the first guitar I have tried that "played itself". His was sunburst, and mine is black, obviously. It's an amazing instrument and one that I've been wanting for a while and I managed to pick up at a really good price. It needed a re-fret and the seller split the cost with me, and it was still a steal. I'm happy.

It sounds amazing and plays beautifully. Somewhere in sound close to a Strat but warmer and it feels more like a Gibson to play. What's not to like? These don't come up that often and many players consider the Norlin years of Gibson manufacure to be rubbish, but I love this instrument. It's all original, but no original case unfortunately. Anyone got a spare Gibson S-1 Chainsaw case?

Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 1st January 2016 at 13:44.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I recently acquired this peach of a guitar. When I was 15 or 16 my friend had one and it was the first guitar I have tried that "played itself". His was sunburst, and mine is black, obviously. It's an amazing instrument and one that I've been wanting for awhile and I managed to pick up at a really good price. It needed a re-fret and the seller split the cost with me, and it was still a steal. I'm happy. It sounds amazing and plays beautifully. Somewhere in sound close to a Strat but warmer and it feels more like a Gibson to play. What's not to like? These don't come up that often and many players consider the Norlin years of Gibson manufacure to be rubbish, but I love this instrument. It's all original, but no original case unfortunately. Anyone got a spare Gibson S-1 Chainsaw case?
    That looks lovely, Merlin :)

Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    That looks lovely, Merlin :)
    Hi Thom, it is lovely and quirky. I can't find anything wrong with it at all! Sounds great, lovely weight, superb neck and a really easy way to switch between the 5 really useful tones. A joy to play.

They were never really popular in the day as the Fender players found it too Gibson-like and the Gibson players hated the bolt on neck and the fender sound. Although Gibson were trying to appeal to the Fender market, few players were willing to take the chance and so it faded into obscurity after about 5 years, maybe less.

I think it sits really comfortably between two pretty high stools, and is actually different enough to be its own thing, rather than neither of the others.
    Last edited by MerlinShepherd; 22nd December 2015 at 14:04.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd View Post
    I recently acquired this peach of a guitar.

When I was 15 or 16 my friend had one and it was the first guitar I have tried that "played itself". His was sunburst, and mine is black, obviously. It's an amazing instrument and one that I've been wanting for a while and I managed to pick up at a really good price. It needed a re-fret and the seller split the cost with me, and it was still a steal. I'm happy.

It sounds amazing and plays beautifully. Somewhere in sound close to a Strat but warmer and it feels more like a Gibson to play. What's not to like? These don't come up that often and many players consider the Norlin years of Gibson manufacure to be rubbish, but I love this instrument. It's all original, but no original case unfortunately. Anyone got a spare Gibson S-1 Chainsaw case?

I had one of those years ago, it was half-inched. Just in case, my name and address are inside the plate you can unscrew on the back!
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I had one of those years ago, it was half-inched. Just in case, my name and address are inside the plate you can unscrew on the back!

I can't seem to find a screwdriver.... and besides which, all the pots and electrics are under the scratch plate and there is no plate on the back. I can only assume that yours wasn't an S-1. Good try though.

Not been playing for a bit, been away a few years I think, but was asked by a friend to play a few acoustic numbers for her so bought my first ever acoustic guitar.

Not the best photo but will sort out a better one over the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My latest acquisition, from eBay (alongside all of the other late night alcohol fueled eBay purchases from that week!)
    I have no need or practical use for a travel guitar - but the Hohner Steinberger GT3 which is always propped up next to my PC is probably my most played guitar.

It's pretty battered and could do with restringing and the bridge filling down a little, but for the forty odd quid it cost me I'm not sorry I bought it...

These are my main electrics. Fender Standard USA strat and a standard ES335. Considering getting rid of the 335 but currently undecided

Very nice pair!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Just purchased this one. MIM Fat Strat FSR in Graffiti Yellow.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Just purchased this one. MIM Fat Strat FSR in Graffiti Yellow.

What a cool colour!

Master
    Yeah, it's pretty funky!

Beautiful dark rosewood board on that one!

Master
    Did it come with sunglasses Ben?
    It is on the bright side. My wife has nicknamed it Tweety Pie which wasn't exactly the tone I was looking for. I don't know if it's true but apparently Fender Graffiti Yellow was inspired by the Deuce Coupe from American Graffiti.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Beautiful dark rosewood board on that one!
    Yes, it looks good against the yellow I think. I believe it originally had knurled, metal control knobs so will probably source some. There's so few references on the net to this particular model that's it's hard to find the original specs though.
    Last edited by benny.c; 23rd August 2017 at 23:19.

I've had many over the years... but now have 4 "keepers". Only have pics of three of them for now...

My 1987 USA Fender Strat. My Mum and Dad bought me this for my 16th birthday. I couldn't get enough of Eric Clapton back then, so changed the pickups for lace sensors (as on the Clapton Signature Strats). I also had the control knobs and switch top custom sprayed to match the body. Love this old thing so much...

Here it is, alongside a watercolour that a good friend painted for my study:

My Ibanez JS1200CA (Candy Apple) Joe Satriani Signature Series. Signed by the legend himself when I got to meet him backstage in 2008. This is probably the best guitar I've ever played. Its astounding in both sound and feel. I got to chat to Joe about its development and he told me that Ibanez had given him a clay Strat - and he moulded and shaped it with a knife to create the JS shape. The neck, is made from a 360 degree scan of Joe's own favourite neck - so even when new, it feels like you've owned it for years.

A crappy phone pic of the Ibanez, running through a "Satchurator" pedal.

My bespoke "Pearce" guitar, made for me by a good friend who has worked at Lowden Guitars here in Nothern Ireland for almost 30 years. I got to choose every detail and enjoy a 6 month long build process. I bought the "Bocote" wood myself from South America. I could talk about this one all night... so I'll shut up and leave the pictures instead!

The wood, fresh from South America:

"Adirondack" spruce wood for the soundboard. Paua shell insert in the sound hole and a solid mother of pearl bridge.

The devil's in the detail....

I'm selfish. When I play in the house... I want some sound projected up to ME!! Works... works a treat.

A shot of the back showing off that lovely grain. Busy, but wonderful to my eye.

And finally, in white MOP, my initials.

Last edited by JohnnyE; 24th August 2017 at 01:28.

Master
    Great collection JohnnyE, especially as each guitar has an interesting history attached to it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My current Strat, but I so want a LP.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    My current Strat, but I so want a LP.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    They're overrated. ;-)

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Is anyone just starting out or know someone that would have a use for these books and tuner? Just had a cleaout and found them in the loft. Postage is on me.

Master
    I posted the above on PH too and someone asked if the books contained chord diagrams with a link to this video. Very funny IMHO and features some guitar legends (contains one mild swear word).

The Trial of Ralph McTell...."100 easy guitar tunes"

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7e3_1375973597

Nice ^^

Pretty sure Joe Perry from Aerosmith has been seen with Supros before. Certainly their amps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    Nice ^^

Pretty sure Joe Perry from Aerosmith has been seen with Supros before. Certainly their amps.
    Yeah, a lot of famous faces have used Supro gear the more I look in to the history of the brand (I think the original company folded a while back).

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Yeah, a lot of famous faces have used Supro gear the more I look in to the history of the brand (I think the original company folded a while back).
    The amps were pretty famous years back but as you say the original company folded.

When those Supro guitars came out they were pretty expensive but Guitar Guitar recently blew them out at around half price which was a great buy.

They still have one model left....

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/searc...earchoverride=

I guess your model has the plastic top?

They do look remarkably different in a good way.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    The amps were pretty famous years back but as you say the original company folded.

When those Supro guitars came out they were pretty expensive but Guitar Guitar recently blew them out at around half price which was a great buy.

They still have one model left....

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/searc...earchoverride=

I guess your model has the plastic top?

They do look remarkably different in a good way.
    We got ours at just over half price so I reckon it’s a decent guitar for the money. Ours (the Jamesport) has a solid alder body so it’s not one of the chambered models which have the fibreglass top - assuming that’s what you are referring to by plastic top?

I think it’s pretty funky looking and it’s certainly growing on me.
    Last edited by benny.c; 4th July 2018 at 19:26.

Let's see your guitars

My two main electrics

Last edited by Cyclone; 3rd July 2018 at 15:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    My two main electrics

Can't beat the classics.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I picked up a Kemper Profiling amp a while back and I have to say, it's astonishingly good. I run it either into headphones or via a mixing desk into a pair of studio monitors and for home practice it's hard to imagine a better system. It reacts just like a real tube amp and pretty much every amplifier ever made is available via Kemper's Rig Exchange website. It's expensive, but it's one helluva rig.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I picked up a Kemper Profiling amp a while back and I have to say, it's astonishingly good. I run it either into headphones or via a mixing desk into a pair of studio monitors and for home practice it's hard to imagine a better system. It reacts just like a real tube amp and pretty much every amplifier ever made is available via Kemper's Rig Exchange website. It's expensive, but it's one helluva rig.

That was some test! Those Kempers ain't cheap though are they??!! Something to aspire to...

Craftsman

Finally picked up my first Gibson which is a 2014 125 Anniversary model and was in immaculate condition when I picked it up as the guy had bought it for his girlfriend who used it twice. It came with everything from new.

Then I made a booboo after leaving my capo as I do with my other guitars on the headstock and it marked it...gutted doesn’t cover it. At first I just thought it was Amaro left from the rubber on the capo so tried to scrap it off with my fingernail only to find it was causing more marks.

Don't mess around with nitro.

If you use a guitar stand make sure it is nitro proof or just cover the arms/backrest with an old cotton T shirt, socks etc.

I'm afraid leaving something like your capo attached for long periods is asking for trouble.

Horrible to see that.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Don't mess around with nitro.

If you use a guitar stand make sure it is nitro proof or just cover the arms/backrest with an old cotton T shirt, socks etc.

I'm afraid leaving something like your capo attached for long periods is asking for trouble.

Horrible to see that.
    I’d no idea about it as I’ve always left my capo on my telecaster and Washburn acoustic without issues so never gave it a 2nd thought until it was too late :-(

Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    I’d no idea about it as I’ve always left my capo on my telecaster and Washburn acoustic without issues so never gave it a 2nd thought until it was too late :-(

Those guitars use a polyester finish.

Older Fenders and all Gibsons use nitrocellulose which is an old style finish that ages gracefully but can be marked by modern synthetic products.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Just 'won' this 1985 Yamaha 460s 'Flying Dove' acoustic on fleabay!!

Can't wait for it to land, Hopefully in one piece!!

There's nice bits of abalone purfling/rosette inlaid and nice 'Dove' inlaid fret markers, The Dove markers were apparently only used from '85 to '87..

Top is solid Sitka spruce, Back and sides are Indian Rosewood, Neck is nato and fingerboard of Ovangkol..

Sellers pics

Last week I bought a guitar that I never thought I would, An Encore!!

It's an Italian made bowlback with a piezzo pickup under the saddle, It was only £15 and is surprisingly good although it could do with a new volume control as it's quite crackly!!, I'll 'borrow' some cleaner jack tomorrow from work to see if the pot is salvageable but I foresee having to buy a new volume pot to solder in!!

It sounds dull due to the years (Maybe decades) old strings, I'll remove them and at the same time, Fetch the volume pot out to have a look at..

John

Master
    in case you don't, have a look on You-tube at Guitar of the day which is a series run out of Norms Rare guitars in LA. the manager picks a guitar and talks about it then plays it. Ok it's a global sale tool but he is knowledgeable about the brands and they have some astounding guitars be they vintage les Pauls/Strats, basses etc. they had a first year Epi casino the other week that was just glorious.