closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Thinking about some watches and comparing.

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Thinking about some watches and comparing.

First Grand Seiko Sport Mechanical Hi-Beat 36000 GMT Triple Time SBGJ23
    This would be my first GS. I am looking at divers and also looking for a GMT and this fulfills requirements exactly as well as looking a fine timepiece. The only thing holding me back are the dimensions as I have found I tend to move on watches bigger than 41mm. However, I have yet to handle this one and perhaps the proportions are inline with a dive watch. It’s slightly thick but that works with the whole size. I imagine it wears like a modern Seadweller 43mm and that worked ok for me (but got moved on)

Second Longines hydroconquest GMT 41mm (maybe 43mm)
    I think this is a rather interesting “true” GMT which can be either available in 41mm or now 43mm with GMT. It is a diver but does not have a 24h bezel - rather a countdown diver bezel which maybe practically more useful to me day-to-day.

Third Zenith Defy Extreme Diver
    A 42.5mm diameter 600m wrt typically Zenith I think will be ok for me but chunky at 15.5mm thick. All in Titanium makes it more wearable Rather interesting bezel. Off putting eye-watering MRP I would have to look for a reseller.

Fourth Zenith Defy Revival 03.A3648.670/21.M3648
    Curve ball. 37mm so wondering if this would be too small but it’s a mad colour that would perhaps make this a collector item in the future. I love that it has 60atm wrt and is a consistent design with the original. The MRP (for Zenith) it reasonable.

Fifth Yema Superman Steel CMM.10 11.13.66.SN.M2
    This is a CMM.10 movement based Yema and is a more affordable option compared to others. Manufactured in France but near the Swiss border allows for collaboration with the Swiss industry. Available either 39mm (my sweet spot) or 41mm - though depends on case shape as the submariner “41” wears well on my wrist. Do I need another diver 3 hander with date though?

Sixth Christopher Ward c65 aquitaine gmt
    With the GMT hand that can be set independently so not my preference. 41mm so good size and handsome watch in the ilk of the Blancpain 50 fathoms style. Loving the lumed ceramic bezel.

I actually like the black version more

Personally I think the Zenith Revival is so left field it would be a winner out of this lot - but doesn’t have a GMT function which is what I was kinda looking for. Maybe the Longines or maybe the Yema?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Out of these options the Defy Extreme Diver for me, I really like the look of this and I dislike integrated bracelets
    2nd the GS, I am not sure I could get on with white bits on the bezel but I love the blue.if it were all blue, yes please.
    If I am honest the rest are yawn inducing when compared to the Zenith options you have posted. (From a man with almost exclusively black dialled divers watches
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 7th May 2024 at 20:59.

Master
    The Zenith both are really cool, but if you move on bigger watches, I guess the 15,5 wouldn’t make it stay… maybe the curveball??

Craftsman
    If I had the means I'd buy that Defy Revival in an instant, very good looking and it really stands out imo.

Zenith, Grand Seiko, Longines and … er … Christopher Ward

If money was no object, then the Zenith Defy Extreme all day and then some. It just looks stunning.

Then second would be the Longines for me. Less to worry about - put it on and forget about it. And it looks manly in a 1970s kind of manly way.

The GS does nothing for me and I really wouldn't bother with Yema. They look the part but aren't quite there as far as quality goes IMO.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 7th May 2024 at 20:56.

Martyn

I have that GS and it wears much smaller than SD43.

It's to do with the case shape, I think

I got it to reduce my longing to replace my sold 42mm explorer 2

It's a good watch

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    I absolutely love the Defy Revival - but just like you, having not seen one I worry that it's too small.

(It's very cheering how well the Zenith design department is doing lately.)

Master
    Martyn

You would have to keep it longer than 2 weeks to get comfortable with the watch this could be a problem for you.

There's a GMT version of the Yema, also in 39mm.

Master
    I love the Zenith Defy Revival, but that's way too small. I had Eddie's mini Dreadnought at 38mm and it looked like a penny on my wrist.

GS for me, unless Zenith make a larger version of the above.

Another vote for the Defy Revival, lovely retro feel to it.

Craftsman
    Out of that selection definitely either Zenith. I love a bit of orange.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I think you'd get bored of the Longines, Yema and Ward very quickly.

I’m sure you don’t want other options Martyn, but if you can cope with quartz, and a GS 9F is as good as quartz gets, then the SBGN027/9. I have the earlier 003 and it’s excellent. 39mm and 12.3mm thick.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Seem to recall Martyn that you are a lover of Zenith and was one of the first to acquire a Chronomaster Sport?
    I have lusted after that watch since then and had the opportunity to try one on in Goldsmiths a couple of weeks ago.
    Alas on my 8 inch wrists it looked tiny.
    Given your sweet spot is 41mm plus I would think the Zenith at 37mm will be too small.
    I too love Zenith and used to own a 44mm Zenith Spindrift.
    I will try on the 42mm Defy Skyline Chronograph when it arrives.
    Good luck with whatever you decide upon.
    Last edited by Stegeorgy; 8th May 2024 at 11:50. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Martyn

You would have to keep it longer than 2 weeks to get comfortable with the watch this could be a problem for you.
    Indeed. Though I’ve changed since moving to the EU which has forced me away from SC really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I absolutely love the Defy Revival - but just like you, having not seen one I worry that it's too small.

(It's very cheering how well the Zenith design department is doing lately.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Zenith, Grand Seiko, Longines and … er … Christopher Ward

If money was no object, then the Zenith Defy Extreme all day and then some. It just looks stunning.

Then second would be the Longines for me. Less to worry about - put it on and forget about it. And it looks manly in a 1970s kind of manly way.

The GS does nothing for me and I really wouldn't bother with Yema. They look the part but aren't quite there as far as quality goes IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stegeorgy View Post
    Seem to recall Martyn that you are a lover of Zenith and was one of the first to acquire a Chronomasters …. Good luck with whatever you decide upon.
    Thanks for all your comments. Seem to be consistent.

My sweet spot is probably 39mm though anything with lug-lug across the watch of <50mm is ok.

The Defy Revival is very intriguing but I’d need to get either on a return basis or ideally I’d like to try one on, just not sure it would be too small. My gut favourite is the Defy Extreme. I may need to be patient - for them to get to the second hand market though.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 8th May 2024 at 16:47.

The Revival would be the pick of the bunch for me without question.

Journeyman
    I have tested this Sbgj237 many times and could very well buy it at some point.
    It.s gorgeous !
    Nothing beats a sapphire bezel and you get the best GS case (yes, the sport case is the best one, the one that can take some dings without looking awful).

It's much more comfy than the SD43 that I own.

It' my take x10 times above the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
    I have tested this Sbgj237 many times and could very well buy it at some point.
    It.s gorgeous !
    Nothing beats a sapphire bezel and you get the best GS case (yes, the sport case is the best one, the one that can take some dings without looking awful).

It's much more comfy than the SD43 that I own.

It' my take x10 times above the other ones.
    It is stunning.

I can relate to the size dilemma. My sweet spot is 37-39mm and I know from experience that anything I've owned that's been larger than 41mm hasn't stayed.

I'd vote for the Zenith Defy Revival, it looks great.

I'd also endorse the Grand Seiko 39mm GMT quartz mentioned by Helidoc - the dimensions are perfect (for me).

Good luck with your decision!

Master
    I had the same dilemma concerning the GS SBGE001, which is the spring drive dive/GMT. Concerns totally unfounded, as it wore extremely well and with the shape of the case and visual style I never found it too large, it wore perfectly.

Might be worth a look to see how it actually sits on the wrist in the metal.

Of all those brands I’ve only ever owned CW and can say you will most certainly be getting value for money, the build quality and finishing is excellent. Also, as a small correction (I believe) the bezel on the Aquitaine range is lumed sapphire, not ceramic.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    Of all those brands I’ve only ever owned CW and can say you will most certainly be getting value for money, the build quality and finishing is excellent. Also, as a small correction (I believe) the bezel on the Aquitaine range is lumed sapphire, not ceramic.
    Thanks for that - yes you are quite correct about the bezel which is a rather nice (U)SP

Craftsman
    Based on the photos, the Zenith diver but to be really sure it would be best to get then on the wrist.

Easier said than done though, with such a broad range of options.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Based on the photos, the Zenith diver but to be really sure it would be best to get then on the wrist.

Easier said than done though, with such a broad range of options.

I've got some screen grabs from a WoW YouTube interview post from the Zenith booth. Both Zenith look wearable on this 6.7 inch wrist (which is very close to my measurement)..

I rather favour the defy revival - just because it´s rather different. Then again the Defy Extreme Diver does come with 3 straps (including one bracelet) as well as being super cool!

Example of my wrist with Omega NTTD on Nato

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 11th May 2024 at 21:42.

Craftsman
    Blimey, that revival does look good on the wrist, maybe both the Zeniths, gulp,