Something about the new Liverpool manager Arne Slot. (‘Arne’ pronouced as ‘Arnu’ like the ‘u’ in ‘uh…’).

He’s from a bordertown in the east (my mother’s hometown as well) and now lives in Zwolle in a rather modest home. Close to former MU defender Jaap Stam, btw. His townhouse reflects him I think: accessable. Not with all sorts barriers around him.

Dutch manangers have always struggled in the Premier League, but Slot’s strong point is that his teams play better than one would expect ‘on paper’. They do better than expected.

In his current role as Feijenoord manager, he introduced a lot of young players. Their performance goes up like a rocket. Matts Wieffer, Santiago Gimenez (Mexican) and Orkan Köçku. The latter plays @ Benfica now but is totally unhappy there. I wouldn’t be surprised when he wants to join Liverpool/Arne Slot.

Slot is a popular man in Rotterdam. That’s underlined by the fact that all Dutch papers write: “He’s leaving through the front door as a proud man!”

He never had big stars like Salah in his teams. And it might be best that Salah searches for greener pastures (well, sand in SA I guess). VVD and Slot will go along well.

As said, the PL and Dutch coaches is a troublesome mix. But he doesn’t have the ‘cocky’ attitude of Louis van Gaal or Ten Hag.

One negative point: Slot is a wizzard when it comes to talking with the 4th official. He manages to influence them. Not only national, but also during the games in Europe.