closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Any good New TV Series worth watching

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    Wayward pines is worth a look, should be able to tell pretty quickly if you'll like it or not. I've been hooked on various Alaskan reality shows lately too, railroad Alaska, life below zero, building Alaska etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    Wayward pines is worth a look, should be able to tell pretty quickly if you'll like it or not. I've been hooked on various Alaskan reality shows lately too, railroad Alaska, life below zero, building Alaska etc.
    I quite liked the first series of WP but tried the new one and couldn't get on with it. Agreed on the Alaskans! Can't wait for Gold Rush to come back..... Deadliest Catch is addictive too..
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Have you watched it all or just the first few episodes? If you have some left then it gets better and so so dark.  I've watched them all twice now, once with the Mrs who was squirming, and once with a mate and we were pissing ourselves .
    Watched it all on the Sky box set & just started second time round. Sky call it 'Series 1' so maybe more to come?

Apprentice
    If you have Netflix I would highly recommend both Marco Polo and Power.

Apologies if they've been mentioned before.

Just a couple we've really enjoyed recently:

Peaky Blinders
    Narcos
    Better Call Saul
    Luther

Some classics:

Breaking Bad
    The Wire
    Sopranos

There so much good TV out there at the moment that we hardly ever watch films these days.

have to add Preacher..........

up to #3 and though slightly different to the comics it's pretty good.....

the authors are producers so have backed it....

Tulip while nice is not quite smokin' hot enough to be totally irresistible (or blonde enough either) .....

Cassidy is excellent ...jury out on Jesse for now but think he will develop OK

Master
    I tried 11.22.63 on TV after starting the book in Menorca last week. I didn't like it very much apart from the scenery! Is it worth sticking with?

Gomorrah it's a top watch

I'm halfway through the first series of 'Powers', it's pretty good. Bit of a different take on the super hero theme. Stars Shalto Copley (district 9, hardcore henry) as the good guy and Eddie Izzard as a pretty good badie.

Brighty
    Last edited by Brighty; 18th July 2016 at 12:37.

Blog Entries
    Stranger Things on Netflix. 2 episodes in bloody brilliant
    Done a great job of setting it in the 80's down to the titles and electro soundtrack, cast is really good especially the kids.
    Like a cross between Xfiles and ET - great stuff

Camping, just watched the 6 episodes, very funny

Craftsman
    The Last Man On Earth. Comedy. It's really quite downbeat in parts, and quite a cynical watch at times, but I love it.

Craftsman
    Just starting to get into Billions. Only first series down but looks pretty decent.

Master
    there is only one series

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by leiper View Post
    Just starting to get into Billions. Only first series down but looks pretty decent.
    I've heard this is good too.

Taken up stranger things based on this thread.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Taken up stranger things based on this thread.
    I'm going to be hunting it out on my andriod box when I get back as well.

Came on to shout out Stranger Things... Beaten to the punch, clearly!

Also thoroughly enjoying the insane Preacher show too.

Deadwood

I can thoroughly recommend Deadwood. The writing is epic.
    Ian McShane is a class act!

benwoodroffe
    We watched the first episode of vice principles last night, was funny

On Amazon Video:
    - Preacher
    - Tyrant
    - Lucifer

On Netflix:
    - Marco Polo
    - White Collar (not new but still good)

Craftsman
    found a gem last night on netflix, watched one epi ended up watching three its called 'spotless' best thing iv'e seen in quite a while. two brothers who run a crime scene clean up company who get themselves embroiled with the mob reluctantly and loads of other side stories, good brother bad brother scenario! can't recommend enough.

I'm going to go against the grain on a couple of these. Stranger Things is a poor imitation of Steven King imo, and although I've watched Ray Donovan from the beginning, I find most if the characters horribly, irredeemably selfish, self-absorbed and vacuous - even the ones we're supposed to get behind eg Ray. A common problem with US series for me - they seem to celebrate navel-gazing narcissists and sociopaths - see Weeds, Orange Is The New Black, and worst of all Happyish - I think Steve Coogan's great, but the series is full of irredeemably loathsome characters - compared with characters like Partridge or Saxondale (like Brent), who have enough redeeming traits to make them compulsive.

mr robot, on the other hand, I find brilliant, even though you could probably say the same.

Journeyman
    How about 'Designated survivor' - netflix original series

Premise below (taken from Wikipedia re the role of designated survivor)

In the United States, a designated survivor (or designated successor) is an individual in the presidential line of succession, usually a member of the United States Cabinet, who is arranged to be at a physically distant, secure, and undisclosed location when the President and the country's other top leaders (e.g., Vice President and Cabinet members) are gathered at a single location, such as during State of the Union addresses and presidential inaugurations. This is intended to guarantee continuity of government in the event of a catastrophic occurrence that kills the President and many officials in the presidential line of succession. If such an event would occur, killing both the President and Vice President, the surviving official highest in the line, possibly the designated survivor, would become the Acting President of the United States under the Presidential Succession Act.[1]

You can probably guess that a catastrophic event is on the horizon, and Kiefer Sutherland starts in it too so well worth a watch in my book.

- - - Updated - - -

PS, another vote for Harley and the Davidsons although that's only 3 episodes long, (long episodes though!)

I'm currently watching Stranger Things and am enjoying it.

Others worthy of a mention:

Peaky Blinders
    Blind Spot
    Spotless
    Banshee
    Walking Dead

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Narco's series 2 on netflix, ye ha

Master
    Jessica Jones was one of the most/best unexpected shows of recent times. Wasn't really bothered to start with but it was a much more complex/interesting and all round amazing show than I expected!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    not sure if this has been said but iv'e just started mr robot and am very impressed.. highly recommended

Blog Entries
    Another vote for Stranger Things brilliant series watched the 1st 4 and now addicted. Looks great in 4k.

One ten-part half-hour comedy I happened upon on Sky Box Sets recently was The Brink, with Jack Black. Very funny, intelligent and well acted. Recommended.

Master
    Yeah that was properly funny and a very well written series.

Just watched the first couple of episodes of Mr Robot on Universal. Good stuff and a welcome return to the screen for Christian Slater. Tin foil hat and anti-globalisation stuff very much the thing these days but there is a real darkness to the characters which is interesting for a US series.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitinheadlights View Post
    Another vote for Stranger Things brilliant series watched the 1st 4 and now addicted. Looks great in 4k.
    I am loving this! I started it last night and I'm now watching episode 8. I really should go to bed.

I would definitely recommend it. It's like a modern Goonies.

We started watching "The Last Ship" last night. Exciting, well shot and they didn't skimp on the budget.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Deadwood was amazing but I can't get over the fact that they binned it after 3 seasons with no notice, no conclusions and a lot more story to tell!

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Deadwood was amazing but I can't get over the fact that they binned it after 3 seasons with no notice, no conclusions and a lot more story to tell!

Yes very disappointing.
    On the upside, three seasons of some quality acting and extreme profanity!

“Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I’ve always assumed?… I’d like to use your ointment to suffocate you.” – E.B. Farnum

I'm not the first to say it but if you have Netflix, ignore everything else mentioned in this thread until you've watched Stranger Things. If you don't have Netflix, get it, then watch Stranger Things.

It's some of the best TV ever made. It's basically what you'd get if John Carpenter and Steven Spielberg got together in the mid-80s to make a 6 hour movie split into 8 parts. It's somewhere halfway between ET and A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Normally even the best TV series has at least one flaw: some bad acting, a slow episode or a plot-hole. I literally cannot think of a single flaw in Stranger Things. The attention to detail is incredible, down to the use of effects reminiscent of those used in the 80s films they're paying homage to. I really hope they make a second season and it lives up to the very high expectations set by the first.

You can do a free trial on Netflix for 30 days if you just want to sign up to watch a series and make your mind up.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post

. I literally cannot think of a single flaw in Stranger Things.
    No babes.

Master
    Most channels will be filled with Olympic crap for the foreseeable future. Oh God.....

Master
    Another for Ray Donovan
    Also House of cards and Billions.
    Watched Narcos series 1 so will do series 2 in due course.Have been told Banshee is good.

Wolf Creek and The Night Of.

Both looking really good so far.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Wolf Creek and The Night Of.

Both looking really good so far.
    Really enjoying Wolf Creek so far.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post

I know there's been a lot of talk over the years about a movie but it looks like it's actually happening this time http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/3...-being-written

Fingers crossed it does happen as it's one of the best TV series I've seen.

Master
    Mr Robot has got a lot of good praise on here but I'm struggling a little with it having binge-watched 7 episodes - can't see where it's going and unevenly paced. That said I can see the quality and hope that it will start coming together.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Mr Robot has got a lot of good praise on here but I'm struggling a little with it having binge-watched 7 episodes - can't see where it's going and unevenly paced. That said I can see the quality and hope that it will start coming together.
    Season 1 was great.

Season 2 so far is rubbish if you ask me.

Other things

True Detective Season 1 ( amazing)
    True Detective Season 2 ( alos amazing but they should never have called it True Detective , watch it on its own terms instead and its a great drama)

The Expanse ( please watch this if you like scifi)

Halt and Catch Fire (2 seasons so far with a third coming soon) Please watch this its brilliant , the characters and acting are so deep and believable as real people with all sorts of faults.

Another vote for Stranger Things - although it is essentially just a bunch of different source materials merged in to one show - brilliantly cast. Not that the writers have claimed any different.

I'm enjoying Silicon Valley, but that's prob because I work in tech and there are lot of character archetypes in there I come across on a daily basis.

Similar vein 'Halt and Catch Fire' is really good based around the time of the birth of the PC (and loosely based on Compaq in Houston).

For throw away fun / guilty pleasures i do like Ballers.

Here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    I know there's been a lot of talk over the years about a movie but it looks like it's actually happening this time http://uk.ign.com/articles/2016/07/3...-being-written

Craftsman
    Just working my way through Stranger Things now, gone through 3 episodes this evening.

Other series I've been into/caught up on:

Gomorrah
    Making a Murderer
    House of Cards
    Peaky Blinders
    Line of Duty
    Luther
    Better Call Saul

Netflix is thoroughly recommended btw, given the free trial and easy cancellation policy, it's a no-brainer IMO.

Another for Stranger Things. I love the whole 80's feel of it. Unfortunately, I read a spoiler on Facebook...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post

Wow let's hope so. As others have said it was so disappointing the way it just . . . . Err disappeared!

Hopefully they'll get the cast back together. Ian McShane is a brilliant actor, I was really hoping his appearance in GOT would be a permanent one, not the seemingly 4 1/2 minutes he had