closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Bored Bored Bored

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    I'm sure I'll declare myself bored at a future date and resurrect the thread again!
    I'm bored again.

The original post is over 10 years old but the reasons remain. Maybe this time I really am done with the whole malarkey? I am wearing a DW5600 most days and genuinely wondering why I used to be so excited by watches. Even the Landmaster has been been sold on.

Could it be I am, like an aged Iberian ham, finally cured?

I guess that can happen with any hobby. A break from it can lead to greater appreciation upon return in my experience. At least that’s how it was for me with fishing - I used to practice several days a week to enter two matches a week. Winning was great but losing became a serious pain in the but, and in the end I just gave it up. I was taking it too seriously and getting no pleasure out of it. Got talked into taking a friends son to learn how to fish and, excuse the pun, was hooked again; though now I only fish for the pleasure of being out there, catching is an ancillary and for me matches are no more.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I don’t consider my interest in watches to be a hobby, I’d have to start taking them apart and servicing and modifying them for that. It’s an interest.

Hobbies are things you actually do … which for me is sailing, cycling, table tennis and walking. With skiing a holiday hobby.

Bored Bored Bored

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I don’t consider my interest in watches to be a hobby, I’d have to start taking them apart and servicing and modifying them for that. It’s an interest.

Hobbies are things you actually do … which for me is sailing, cycling, table tennis and walking. With skiing a holiday hobby.
    Kind of agree with this, don’t see that just buying watches (and often as an investment), handbags, coats or anything else is really a hobby.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Kind of agree with this, don’t see that just buying watches (and often as an investment), handbags, coats or anything else is really a hobby.
    Same here....for myself its running, martial arts, playing the guitar etc. all I would class as hobbies.

Master
    I'm bored again.

The original post is over 10 years old but the reasons remain. Maybe this time I really am done with the whole malarkey? I am wearing a DW5600 most days and genuinely wondering why I used to be so excited by watches. Even the Landmaster has been been sold on.

I was bored with most of my watches, so I bought an Invicta! (See thread elsewhere). You may be cured, but I probably still need treatment!

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm bored again.

You like Casios, maybe you could get into modding.

e.g. https://www.skxmod.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    You like Casios, maybe you could get into modding.
    Thanks, yes I was into modding for a while many years back. Mainly SKXs with parts (dials/hands/crystals) from Dagaz. Eventually I managed to attain enough kit and sufficient incompetence to repair a few 70s watches too, as well as wrecking a few more.

The less said of my hydro-modding efforts, the better.

I think I haven't left much on the table as far as messing around with watches goes. Quartz, mechanical, ana-digi, digital, spring drive, solar, modern, vintage, rare, common, military, civilian, kinetic, cheap, not cheap. Round and round and round it goes. Probably why I like the DW5600 at the moment. It's unpretentious and unchanged, like the last 40 years never happened.

To be clear, I still like the forum. As even this ancient thread shows, the subject of watches is really only the tenter hook upon which we hang our colourful yarns, weaving a patchwork of community conversation. It'll be a shame if (when...) this goes too. If the forum really is shut to new entrants, I suppose that clock is ticking too.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 5th May 2024 at 16:15.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, yes I was into modding for a while many years back. Mainly SKXs with parts (dials/hands/crystals) from Dagaz. Eventually I managed to attain enough kit and sufficient incompetence to repair a few 70s watches too, as well as wrecking a few more.

The less said of my hydro-modding efforts, the better.

I think I haven't left much on the table as far as messing around with watches goes. Quartz, mechanical, ana-digi, digital, spring drive, solar, modern, vintage, rare, common, military, civilian, kinetic, cheap, not cheap. Round and round and round it goes. Probably why I like the DW5600 at the moment. It's unpretentious and unchanged, like the last 40 years never happened.
    Apologies - did not realised you had already been right down that rabbit hole. Respect that you dared to mess with a spring drive!

This thread is a bit pessimistic. Here are some thoughts from me:

1. If watches bore you, well maybe you have reached the end of the road with them? Interests come and go in our lives, it isn't something to mourn - find a new hobby and embrace it.

2. Personally, i find new watches utterly dull. Rolex, Patek, blah blah... mostly bought by boring people to make a quick profit, many i find ugly and ostentatious. I have found a love for neo-vintage pieces. There is a whole host of interesting Breguet, Blancpain, Ebel history that people are just stumbling upon now. Not saying this will interest you, but this is what interests me and when this current obsession ends, maybe that'll be it for me, or maybe it'll be a segue into a new watch obsessions, who knows.

3. I am relatively young (34) and although this hobby is a bit bizarre to my comtemporaries, the covid driven boom in watch prices has generated interest in watches for younger people, and not all of them just obsess about the latest daytona. I have many friends interested in unique pieces - check out watch brothers London - Ben Dunne is a buddy of mine, younger than me and the next generation of watch collectors and academics.

Lastly, the forum may be closed to new members, but there are plenty of forums that aren't. Just because TZ might be on the slide doesn't mean every watch forum is, and if we want to fight to keep this forum going for the next generation, maybe we need to raise the topic with Eddie and see what we can do to encourage new membership.